Saturday, June 4, 2016

Open Letters to Lydia and Wynneth

Dear Lydia,
  I woke up this morning with your "honey sticks" and hot tea on my mind.  How hospitable you were to the lot of us on Sunday mornings who would file into your home, drink your hot beverages, and discuss the Word of God!  I thought of those tall, Styrofoam cups of hot water steeping one of your gourmet tea bags and your generosity in letting us make ourselves at home in your kitchen, picking out a slender, plastic envelope of tantalizingly-diverse-colored honeys to empty into the hot liquid. 

  How well your kettle worked!  Often I would sit holding my cup, glancing at it between comments around the circle, and watch the steam rise for almost half the class time, only to down the sufficiently-cooled drink as quickly as possible at class's end so as not to be late to church.
  You mean so much to me.  All those mornings spent pouring over the Scriptures as a class, all those weekdays learning from your skilled hands  & knowledgeable words as you imparted to me the ability to play guitar, all those moments holding your babies or playing with them.  

  How I love you!  How I miss you! 
  Today especially.  As we moved in the next dear family it finally felt... final.  They are here to fill the spot you and Bro. Nick left.  They are the ones the Lord has brought us as He wisely and lovingly unfolded the next phase of His plan for you, moving you back to your familiar state, your familiar friends, your familiar family.  

  But, (may I say it?) I take a tearful joy in the fact that we had seemed to become your familiar place.  We were your friends in place of those you had moved from.  We became family when flesh and blood were so many miles away from you.  
  How I love you, my sister!  My eyes are moist with the missing.
  Yes, a new, wonderful family has arrived, but not to replace you.  No, instead they come to be used by the Lord to lead us into a deeper relationship with Him, to teach us things we couldn't have learned from you, to grow and stretch us in ways in which you were not meant coach us.  And His plan, (as hard as it is sometimes in living your absence), is delightful to me!  For He devises with wisdom and I rest in Him with peace knowing that His plan for you is good, His plan for this church, this new family, and even me is good.  He is our dear, loving Father and oh! how wonderful to know He keeps you (there where you are) & me (here where I am).  

  How I love you, my precious sister!  Missing will one day be consumed (delightfully so!) in Heaven when we all get to be together with our Savior forever!

Dear Wynneth,
  Hello, my new, dear friend!  Your move today was filled with answers to prayers!  Just having you in the neighborhood means our Gracious Lord did not overlook our plea for a youth pastor and his wife! How sweet our Savior is!
  Added to that, His protection on the road as you were stalled at a wreck (I am so grateful that you were not part of it!), and His holding back the rain as your belongings were trekked inside your new residence.  More blessings come to mind as I think, with humble thankfulness, that you and Bro. Herald were willing to accept the position that included such a small house.  

  How it blesses my heart to see your relationship with each other!  Even though you were dog-tired, you both exhibited such a cheerfulness and respect & love for each other that blessed my heart!  
  Your five children delight me, even though I have only met three of them.  I look forward, the Lord willing, to becoming very fine friends with them!    
  How sweet to hold little Ike, to look down into
his handsome, olive-skinned face, to relish his deep-brown eyes.  He is a gift from our Father and I my heart bursts to see the love that our He has in placing outcasts into love-inspired families.
  You've moved away from things dear and familiar, from places, from family, from friends.  I hope that we can be to you new friends (not replacements), and additional family members to add to your "clan". 
  Your heart blesses mine. I appreciated hearing about your quiet time with the Lord, your sweet, childlike prayers as your petitioned our Father about keeping Ike should you & Bro. Herald come to fill our youth pastor & family position.  I loved hearing that your oldest three have come to put their trust in Jesus Christ Who died on the cross and rose again so that sinners like me could be made right with Himself!

    You are dear and I already love you!  You come to fill a gap.  I do not want to place expectations on you that you function, speak, act, etc., like our dear former youth pastor's wife.  You are unique and precious and, with the Lord's help, I will grow to learn you and work with you and build you up and learn from you.
  I am so thankful that the Lord saw fit to bring you to us and I have been praying that we would be mutual blessings the one to the other.  

  I bless His Name that He takes such great care of us as He sees right to take our other family for special service elsewhere and to bring you here for the special service He has for you in this place.  I know that all things work together for His great purpose and I am super-excited to see what He will do in the days ahead! 

   Love to you both,
          ~"Trissy"

No comments:

Post a Comment