Thursday, December 1, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Collect

Hello, folks! I have discovered a new word: Tractate.  If I understand correctly, it's a synonym for the word treatise or discussion and is currently out of use.  But perhaps this blog will change that. *wink*

Since I missed getting to participate in the Write 31 month-long blogging party introduced to me by Kate Motaung, I determined that I would try my own version in December.  However, before I came up with that idea, when I was still thinking I could do Write 31, I asked my in-house word-crafter, Kyrie, supply me with 31 words which I plan to draw out at random and write about.  {And I have not fished through them to see what she came up with...}  I don't know whether I'll stick to the five minute time limit as I thought I would; we'll just have to see.

Therefore without further ado, here is.... Collect!  

Start. 

When I look at the word Collect hand-written on a tiny sliver of paper in Kyrie's signature scrawl, I link it to the most recent occurrence in my life: our family's trip to Arkansas.  Friends of ours extended the invitation to us to join with them as they celebrate twenty-five God-given years of married life.  

I was delighted when my parents began making plans to attend.  It had been about seven years since I had been in "my old stomping ground" in that lovely state, so, besides the privilege of seeing and rejoicing with the happy couple, I looked forward to the fun of traveling, seeing the countryside between my current and former residences, and getting to again be with many beloved friends who would attend the anniversary reception.  

So how does this relate to the word Collect?  Only this, that over the years, the Lord has richly blessed my life with precious friends whom I have collected, until my family not only includes those who share similar genes with me, but also "family members" who are connected to me through the Blood of Christ.  

Perhaps it sounds strange to talk about blood.  But Jesus Christ, God's Son, died for me and I cannot keep from telling about what His kindness did for me.  He, although Righteous, bled and gave up His life, so that I, who was guilty, through believing in Him, could be made clean and pleasing before God.  

As my mother and I read recently in our Bible reading together, "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God." (1 Peter 1:18-21.)
 
These whom I have been blessed to collect into my family are likewise ones who have put their faith in Christ's work on the cross and His raising Himself from the grave.  These are dear people to me and having them "in my collection" has brought me riches beyond estimation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment