Friday, December 9, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Height

Hello, folks! I've gotten a tad behind with my Wintertide Tractations
Please excuse me.  Due to studying late Wednesday night for a final, I missed that day's word and did it yesterday.  Therefore, the word for yesterday was Height.  So without further ado,

Start!

Before my mother's mother met her husband, my mother's father, she dreamed of marrying a tall man.  She was about 5' 9" when she was in her early twenties (I was trying to remember if this was right and asked Kyrie and she, without knowing what I thought the Grandmother's height was, gave the same number!).  The Grandmother had certain preferences when it came to shoe height and she hoped that she would marry a man who would be taller than her when she wore her four-inch heels.  I smile as I think about it: the Lord allowed that youthful dream of the Grandmother's to be realized when she met and married the Grandfather, a tall, handsome man.  

Because I've been measured right around the same height as the Grandmother and because of the fact that I am her granddaughter, perhaps it is not too silly of me to hope likewise that my husband, if I ever marry, will be tall as well.  

I come from a family of tall people (but perhaps that goes without saying now that you've heard about my Grandparents).  Three of the Grandparents' four sons are/were quite tall men and I suppose all three daughters were relatively tall as well.  Many of their grandsons and a few of us granddaughters inherited the "height gene".  

Recently I saw a friend of the family after many years, and he remarked that "height is a good thing".  Of course, that was encouraging since I tower over many of my friends.  More important than height or good looks, however, I read in the biblical book of Proverbs that "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold" (22:1).  What better way to have a good name than by trusting in and devoting one's life to the Lord and His glory?  As another of the Proverbs very plainly says, "The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot" (10:7).  I'd much rather have the reputation of being just/righteous before God and be remembered as such when I'm gone (no matter what I look like or what status I hold), than to be known for good looks or a nice height or great riches in this present life and be known as wicked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment