Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Utmost

For this Wintertide Tractation, the word is Utmost.

Start.

When I hear or see the word "Utmost", I typically think of the title to Oswald Chambers' well-known volume, My Utmost for His Highest.  While I've never read the book, the title alone causes me to pause and self-reflect.  

What would it mean if I gave "my utmost" to Almighty God?  

As a believer, it would stand to reason that I already should be doing that.  Oftentimes, though, as awful as it is to admit, I hold back from the Lord what is rightfully His. 

Our dear pastor at Victory Rd., Bro. Earl, preached Sunday night on the topic of submission from Ephesians 5.  Never before had submission looked so beautiful as he verbally took us step-by-step through what it means to be submissive to each other.  Not only is it not weakness, it is true strength as we consider our abilities and apply them to serving others unselfishly for the sake of our Lord's Name! 

So what would "my utmost" given to my Savior look like? 

More responsible living.  Considering what requirements are upon me and not procrastinating.  Not sifting through Pinterest when three chapters of test material are waiting to be reviewed for tomorrow's final.  Considering what my family's needs are and putting aside lesser activities to assist them in some way.  Considering what would benefit my physical self so I might further Christ's Kingdom.  {Such as, making an intentional effort to exercise on a regular basis and avoiding the unhealthy foods that seem to abound this time of year (or maybe just year-round).}  Considering what would benefit my soul so I might further Christ's Kingdom.  Spending more time memorizing Scripture and reflecting on it as I do.

What else?  Deeper prayerfulness.  Praying for that long-forgotten neighbor who randomly pops into my head.  Or asking the Lord to guide our political leaders.  Or sitting in silence and just considering Who my Savior is and how amazing it is that He saved me!  As Andrew Murray in his book, Waiting on God, said, "Wait on God till you know you have met Him; prayer will then become so different" (25).  How I hope to experience that difference for myself.

All these things and more.  But Christianity isn't meant to be legalistic.  It's a lifestyle based on a relationship with the Creator of the Universe!  It's radical and it changes the person who I once was into a productive member of society in the present... and with regard to the Eternal Kingdom that is coming in the future!

I want more of Christ!  As I surrender to the prompting of His Holy Spirit Who lives inside me, I change in ways that are positive; sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes quiet, sometimes noticeable, but definitely in ways that exalt the Lord of Glory Who has the right to control all I do, and say, and think.  

That's just the tip of the iceberg, though.  Maybe, in these last few days before the dawn of 2017, this should be my "sprint goal", my "race to the finish line", my driving force: What would it look like to live the remainder of 2016 (and the remainder of my minutes on this earth!) as wholly dedicated to the Lord?  My Utmost for My King.

No comments:

Post a Comment