Friday, December 2, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Shine

Hello, folks!  Second day of Wintertide Tractations!   Today's word is Shine! 

Start. 

As I still mull over the happenings of this past weekend (my family's trip to Arkansas), I got to meet one of my mother's friends for the first time.  She, (whom I'll call Delia), and my Mother have not had contact in about 27 years.  Although I had heard her name mentioned a few times, I didn't know much about her and wasn't expecting to see her at our friends' house and anniversary celebration.  Wow, was I in for a bundle of blessings!  Throughout our one-and-a-half days together, I found myself going back for more conversation with her time and again.  This lady loves the Lord in such a deep way that I was prompted to consider my own relationship with Christ.

Delia shone with a glow that was deep and soaked-in.  A gentleness and a beauty that could only come from time spent with the Lord day after day exuded from her.  Small of stature and quiet of voice, Delia is attractive, but more than that, she beautiful in mannerisms and, most importantly, of heart.  The beauty of Christ shone out of her and I found myself wanting that.  Like a moth to a flame, or a thirsty horse to a stream of water, the work that Christ is doing in Delia drew me in as I long for an echo of His likeness in my own life.  I want to be a truly godly woman, too.  

The wisdom that she (either intentionally or unintentionally) shared encouraged and sharpened me as Proverbs says, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend" (27:17.)  I realize that the virtue that she exuded has developed over years of quietly getting away to spend time with her Lord.  Arriving at such a level myself will happen as the Lord molds and works on me and as I surrender myself to Him and spend time reading His Word and communicating with Him through prayer.  I don't want to be resistant to His work within and through me.

By the grace of God, I have been forgiven for my sins and am journeying with Christ and becoming like Him, but I want so much more of Him.  What a blessing that He puts people like my new-found sister in Christ, Delia, to encourage me into a closer relationship with Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment