Thursday, December 22, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Supply

Wintertide Tractations: Supply

Start.

My dear pastor, Bro. Earl, loaned me an incredible treasure: his brand-new hymnal from Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, CA, Hymns of Grace.   

Wow! Can I just say, this is a goldmine of theologically-deep hymns, both ancient and new!  I keep discovering one beautiful hymn after another, as well as some I already knew.

One of my favorites is the hymn "My Shepherd, You Supply My Need" by Isaac Watts.  Here are the words:

My Shepherd, You supply my need; most holy is Your name.
In pastures fresh You make me feed, beside the living stream.
You bring my wandr'ing spirit back when I forsake Your ways,
And lead me, for Your mercy's sake, in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, Your presence is my stay;
One word of Your supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Your hand, in sight of all my foes, does still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, Your oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
Oh, may Your house be my abode and all my work be praise.
Here would I find a settled rest, while others go and come; 
No more a stranger or a guest, but like a child at home.

This version gives the tune, in case you want to sing along. 

Oh yes! how wonderful is my Father, my Shepherd Who is my supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment