Monday, December 5, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: My

Today is the fifth of my Wintertide Tractations; thanks for stopping by!  
(If you're curious about the backstory of the word Tractations, you can follow this link.)   

I haven't gotten far into the month, but this is the most thought-provoking and unexpected of Kyrie's words so far, today's is: My

Start.
 
As I listened to the words of one of my new favorite Christmas songs, ("I Am" from the CD Everlasting Savior  by Sarah Mikowski, Anna, & Faith Hainline), I couldn't help but be swept away.  The soaring music, beautiful sister-harmony, and the words of the song reminds me again what a blessed Daughter of the King of kings that I am! 

The Lord gave me the opportunity to talk with one of my classmates from Spanish class the other day.  A few weeks ago, I overheard her talking with some others in the class about some of her decisions and wondered what she would consider her spiritual health to be.  We got to have a little conversation before class began and, based on what she said, I'm not sure whether she believes in Christ Jesus for herself or not.  She seemed to be relying on the fact that she's "always been a Christian" based on her foster parents' religious doings.  The conversation brought to my mind anew how that what my ancestors decided concerning Christ doesn't automatically pass on to me; it is not hereditary.  I get to make the choice for my own self.  Yet, because of His unfathomable mercy, He gave me simple faith to believe that what He says through His Word is true: that I am a sinner in a hopeless condition without Him and that He is a gracious Savior, ready and waiting to forgive me of all my evil doings.  

Now I can refer to Christ with words that reflect my personal relationship with Christ!  I do not vaguely base my understanding of Who He is through my parents' or grandparents' love for Him, or because of the church I attend or the friends I associate with.  
I can say with Job, "I know that my Redeemer liveth!" (Job 19:25.)  
With Thomas, I believe in Jesus' ability to bring Himself to life again and I echo that faltering disciple as I exclaim, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:24-29.)  
With David I confess that the Lord is my Shepherd Who supplies my every need perfectly--with Himself! (Psalm 23:1.)  
With Moses my heart sings, "The Lord is my strength and my song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him." (Exodus 15:2.)   

The Scripture is full of verses that show saints who claimed a personal attachment to the Lord of hosts...and because of His mercy, I have the same privilege of addressing Him so!  He is my Master, my Savior, the Healer of my heart and the constant Guide for my feet.  How can I keep quiet when such a God is mine?!

No comments:

Post a Comment