Friday, December 16, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Other

Wintertide Tractations: Other

Start:

As I mentioned in a previous post, Kyrie is a gift-giver.  Just now as I was in my room, she came in with two clay pitchers/sauce dishes she picked up at a recent garage sale.  She insisted that I take one, knowing that I admired them after the ooing and aahing we did when she showed us her "loot" that evening after the sale.  She knows that I, with my dream of one day having a "white, clapboard farmhouse" like things that are simple, beautiful, and useful, not to mention retro, old-fashioned, or down-to-earth if possible.  (What's more down-to-earth than pottery? *wink*)  And so, she, with her unquenchable giving-ness, made me choose one of the darling clay vessels.  


She reminds me of the verse in Philippians, "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves" (2:3).  

Esteeming "other[s] better than myself" is not something that comes naturally for me.  I'm a selfish human being in desperate need of more Christ-likeness.  Jesus Christ never exhibited selfishness, He always thought of us, unworthy humans. 

In fact, later on in the chapter are some verses that I love very much, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross"  (Phil. 2:5-8). 

Christ came and sacrificed His all so that others (us; all who believe in Him) can have life with Him forever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment