Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Wintertide Tractations: Wrap

It seems that I may have finally gotten caught up with my Wintertide Tractations!  The word for the day is: Wrap.

Start.

When it comes to gift-giving, I must admit, I struggle.  At times, I'll pass that very special something and think of some friend that I'd love to give it to.  But more often, I come to an important occasion and find myself at a loss as to what to do for the ones I love.  Perhaps it has to do with a budget too narrow to afford what I know they'd like and then a blank brain about anything that might actually fit into my spending amount.  I don't seem wired to be a giver of purchased or handmade items.

Kyrie, on the other hand, is a terrific gift-giver.  She peruses little shops and sale racks all year round, spotting items right and left and tucking them away for the perfect occasion and then, voila! she produces a lovely gift that exudes thoughtfulness and love.  Her gifts are often cleverly packaged with some delightful paper or decorated with a natural or specially-handcrafted ornamentation.  When a gift comes from Kyrie, it delights from wrapping to contents.  

Whether one is a gift-giver or gift-wrapper or both, I'm reminded of Jesus Christ.  He came as the Greatest Gift in wrapping that men found it hard to see past.  

The angel told the shepherds in the fields, "...Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger" (Luke 2:10-12).  In swaddling clothes? God's Son?  Lying in a feeding trough?  That didn't sound like a place for the King of kings!  But He came humbly, without fanfare, without seeking applause.

The Jews that heard Jesus teach when He ministered around Galilee couldn't believe that this Man was God's Son.  They expected something far different than what Jesus appeared to be.  In John 8:56-59, Jesus has a conversation with some of them: "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.  Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by."

Though so many rejected Him then and few seem to worship Him now, still, "being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Phil. 2:8-11.)  One day, every scoffer and every worshipper shall see the Lord Christ as Who He is: the One Who came wrapped in human flesh is truly the Son of God, the Redeemer of mankind!

No comments:

Post a Comment