Monday, October 12, 2015

Write 31: Storm

  Psalm 107:23-31, "They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!" 

{Start.}

  There haven't been many storms in my lifetime that have made me greatly afraid.  I live near the Gulf Coast, so my family was once threatened with a hurricane making landfall, but nothing significant happened.  In fact, at that point, it was just an exciting event, seeing the sky get grey and the wind pick up, having my Dad board up our windows, and getting to take a trip to see my grandparents.  It was more like vacation than a potential catastrophe!  
  Since then, though, there have been many storms in my soul.  My, I remember some of them so fierce I felt like the sailors in the above verses from Psalms!  
  When would I get out of the torrents, the lightning, the shock of the waves?  Or would I ever?  Some of the storms lasted so long, I was almost giving up with ever seeing the light of day.  
  But then my Lord came.  
Just as He did in the Biblical account where He walked on the water to His disciples, who were sick with fright and crouched in the boat, so my Jesus came to me and rebuked my storm and set me on the right course again.  The sun shone, the clouds were glorious instead of dreadful, and my tear-streaked face was upturned to my Heavenly Father again.  
  Perhaps you are in such a storm: look to the Master of the waves.  He knows right where you are and can calm the storm and give you aid.  Call out to Him.  He loves you and He wants to give you peace and calm your storm.  Trust in Jesus.

{Stop.}
For those of you who are just joining in on this blog and wondering what "Write 31" is, it's a writing challenge spanning the length of October.  We writers take a specified word and bang out our thoughts in approximately five minutes, trying not to edit or do any major correcting after the time is up.  It's been a great experience!  If you would like to join something a little less intense, though, I'd love to invite you to join us every Friday over at Kate Motaung's place where we gather to do the same "five-minute frenzy" but only on Fridays!  Come be a part!

No comments:

Post a Comment